Tuesday 9 August 2011

Kangaroo Sausage Rolls

Sausage rolls are YUM! But often not very healthy. Today I made a healthy version that my family loved :) Best of all, I made 48 of them - so I can freeze some for another night!

 

Lohtown Sausage Rolls 
makes 48 "party" size sausage rolls

1kg pack puff pastry (I buy the fat-reduced pampas 6 pack)
1kg lean mince*
2 large zucchini, grated
3 carrots, grated
1 cup breadcrumbs
2 eggs
4 cloves garlic, finely chopped
1 brown onion, finely chopped
fresh parsley, chopped

Lay the pastry sheets out to thaw. Mix the other ingredients together in a bowl. Cut the pastry pieces in half. Lay the sausage filling lengthways on the pastry. There is enough filling to make 12 long rolls (the length of a pastry sheet).


Fold the pastry up to cover the filling and place on two baking trays.


Cook for 20mins at 200 (180 fan-forced). You may need to switch the trays at this point, if they are cooking unevenly. Lower the heat to 180 (160 fan-forced) and cook until golden (about 20mins).


I found the bases of mine were a little soft (I think because of all the vegie goodness!!), so I crisped them up on the griller tray before serving. Cut into pieces & serve with steamed vegies or salad.


* I used kangaroo mince. It's 98% fat free, tastier than beef mince, relatively cheap ($7.50/kg at Coles) & high in iron. I have actually started to use Kangaroo mince most of the time (in pasta sauce, burritos, etc).

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...