Monday 24 October 2011

More chicken nuggets

When I read the chicken nugget recipe in Deceptively Delicious, I was skeptical. The instructions are to mix pureed vegie (sweet potato, spinach or beet) with egg, roll the chicken in it and crumb. I felt pretty sure the vegie/crumb coating would just fall off. I also wasn't too keen on shallow-frying, as the recipe suggests.

Casting doubts aside, I gave it a go, with major variations to the original recipe. I baked, rather than fried. I omitted lots of the seasoning (including salt) & instead just squeezed some lemon juice over them at the end (but left Mr Fun's plain). I had mixed results, mainly due to the positioning in the oven (the ones closer to the element crisped up better and the coating was firmer). But, my family all gave them the thumbs-up (and Mr Sociable didn't even notice the greenish tinge).


Chicken breast nuggets (with zucchini coating)
3 zucchini, roughly chopped
1 egg
2 cups breadcrumbs
2 large chicken breasts, cut into nugget-sized pieces
lemon juice, to serve

Puree the raw zucchini in the food processor. Add the egg and whizz together. Dip the chicken into the zucchini/egg puree.

Put the zucchini-coated chicken into a bowl of breadcrumbs.

Pile the breadcrumbs on. Pick up the nuggest and very gently shake the nugget to remove excess breadcrumbs.

Place the nuggets on a tray. 

Cook in a moderate oven until golden, turning once. Cut one of the nuggets in half to check if they are cooked through. Serve with a squeeze of lemon.

I actually made these in advance (before going to pick up Mr Sociable from preschool). I left the raw nuggets covered in fridge & just put them in the oven when we got home. Easy & delicious! :) I will definitely try these again - I'll watch the position in the oven a little more closely next time.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...