Sunday 7 August 2011

An Upcycle project: The day Mummy's jacket turned into pants

This past week has been so warm, feels like spring is on its way (hooray)! So I've cleaned out my wardrobe, weeding out all the winter clothes that I haven't worn this year. But what to do with my old velour jacket? Not really warm enough for a cold frog like me, but so soft, so difficult to throw away...


I decided to make it into some pants for Mr Fun.


I started by cutting off the sleeves. I left the cuffs on, so that they could be the cuffs at the bottom of the pants. I added some extra material (from the front of the jacket) to join the two sleeves together, so that the pants would be wide enough to fit over cloth nappies.


Next, I tried the pants on Mr Fun. They were not quite long enough in the rise. So, I cut the waistband from the jacket and made it into a waistband for the pants.


I inserted elastic into the waistband and finished off sewing the waistband.


Finished! They fit pretty well :) I did leave them a little long - so hopefully he will get a couple of months wear out of them before they get passed on to someone else.

4 comments:

Julie said...

Very resourceful! And they look so cute. I wish I was more confident with a sewing machine!

Erin said...

It really has just been a process of trial and error. I've learnt so much in the past couple of years sewing stuff for my kids. I also watch YouTube videos when I need to learn new skills (eg. 6 months ago, I watched a video about how to replace the elastic on our fitted sheets)

Pam @Threading My Way said...

Mr Fun's pants look fabulous!!! I love the fact that the jacket sleeves could become the legs. A great refashion!!! Thanks for linking up...

Erin said...

Thanks Pam :) I've love seeing him wear these pants (because I really liked that jacket!).

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...