Tuesday 20 March 2012

Recipe Remix (reusing leftovers)

A little while ago, I wrote about how have started to menu plan our weeknight meals. I like to cook big meals that will do two dinners (and two lunches for Franky to take to work). But I find it boring eating exactly the same meal two nights in a row, so I like to re-invent the leftovers from the night before to make something new. I've got some regular big meals that I can make every second night and easy "remixes" that I make the next night.

I'm going to share some of the reinventions that I make - and I'd love to hear some of your ideas too!

Chicken & mushroom pasta sauce --> chicken & mushroom pie
I cook the chicken mushroom pasta sauce with pasta on the first night. Leftover pasta is used to make lunches for Franky (with the sauce). On the second night, I make pies. We have a pie maker - so this is really simple. I just put the pastry in the pie-maker and fill with sauce. Can serve with vegies or salad (or chips, if I'm looking for a really easy dinner).

Burritos --> savory mince
We eat tacos/burritos on the first night, with the usual fillings - salad, meat, cheese, etc. The second night, I add some extra vegies to the meat (peas, carrot, etc) & serve it with rice or pasta & top with shredded cheese.



Spaghetti sauce --> lasagne
We eat spaghetti bolognaise the first night, then use the leftover sauce to make lasagne for the next night. Just requires layering the sauce with lasagne sheets and topping with cheese (I don't worry about béchamel sauce!).

Roast chicken --> roast chicken pizza
This one doesn't save much time (because it requires cutting up all the leftover chicken) - but it is very yummy!

 

Sausages & salad --> curried sausages
Ok, a bit daggy - but such a yummy reminder of my childhood! Use leftover sausages to make curried sausages. To make curried sausages, I use 1 onion, a few cloves of garlic, curry powder (I use a couple of tsp of Clive of India), flour and water. Add vegies as required (when we were kids, vegies were on the side, but now I add vegies into the sauce).

So, now it's over to you - I would love you to share some ideas for remixing leftovers! I need some new ideas :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...